Katikati College is a co-educational Year 7 to 13 school. It is located in the town of Katikati which is approximately 40 km northwest of the city of Tauranga in the Western Bay of Plenty region of New Zealand. The school has an ideal setting for unleashing its Wild side – the beautiful Uretara river is just a 5 minute walk from the school in one direction, the estuary a little longer to the north (Park Rd) or east (Beach Rd). http://www.wildaboutnz.co.nz/schools/katikati-college/The bush clad Kaimai hills are less than a 10 minute drive away, while many bush restoration projects underway on private land are even closer.
- Prepared and planted school gully with shade trees/plants to suppress weeds and provide seed/fruit for native birds
- Carried out stream monitoring, freshwater fish surveys and whitebait spawning surveys at Uretara River sites near school
- Planting sedges at spawning Uretara River site
- School environment group designed and made whitebait information signs for display at Uretara River spawning survey sites
- Surveyed whitebait run at Uretara. We found very low numbers again this season. Many long-term fishers have given up.
- Uretara stream monitoring including freshwater fish survey near Haiku Bridge generated data and information for the new display panel at the entrance to the bird walk. The school environmental group participated in the design process
- TFS plants were propagated and grown on for Uretara Estuary Managers projects